I wanted to visit Ireland for a long time. I had a couple of friends in Parma who spent some time in this charming country and they used to rave about it. Soon I had the desire to visit it myself.

One of the most scenic wonders that I have seen are the Cliffs of Moher, located on the west coast of the nation.

They rise 120 metres above the sea and they reach their maximum height, 214 metres, just north of the O'Briens' Tower, a round stone turret, stretching a length of 8 kilometres.

They are battered by the full force of the Atlantic Ocean.

That day, it was the end of September, I left Galway and I finally arrived at my destination. I was very pleased. I was going to see something unique.


Nowadays, there is a very well-equipped visitor centre there. Not at that time. The cliffs walk is beyond its ground.

Visitors are advised not to visit the cliffs in case of bad weather, rain or wind. I had a quick look around. I soon understood why.

The view left me with a lasting impression, with a feeling of fear and terror.

The bluffs are incredibly threatening and dangerous. We are talking about sheer rock dropping down to the ocean.

The cliffs are extraordinarily large and tremendously steep.

I was frightened just by looking at them. If you suffer from vertigo, do not go there.

If you want to wander along the cliffs, you are advised to wear good walking shoes, a windbreaker and to follow the official path. For a very good reason.

You do not want to fall down...

I started to hike. It was a beautiful sunny day, a bit windy and with big white clouds in the sky. There were other visitors, from all over the world. There was a scene that I will never forget. A young couple wanted to take a photo and left the trail adventuring very close to the edge of the cliffs.

I felt sick, physically sick thinking of what could have happened to them in case the soil they were standing on would suddenly collapse...

I looked down. I saw a huge number of big boulders on the long narrow beach below. Apparently, they were formed in the Upper Carboniferous Period, 319 million years ago.

I did not feel very well. I was powerless in front of Mother Nature.

The wild beauty of the place literally overwhelms you.

I smelled the fresh salt air and I heard the birds cry and screaming.

I was lucky enough to see some feral Bilberry goats.

Besides, the waters nearby are rich in plankton, which attracts whales and whale sharks.


Not far away from the cliffs, I could admire Branaunmore Sea Stack, right in the middle of the water, continuously hit by the waves.

The vertical column was formed as inexorable breakers eroded the main cliffs over millions of years.

The mysterious Aran Islands appeared in the distance.

I was completely absorbed by the surrounding environment.

The stunning beauty around me totally captured me.

I kept looking down. Below the cliffs hide underwater caves. Even more daunting.

Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to see the puffins, beautiful funny looking sea birds. They nest on the cliffs from end March till mid-July. I was not worried. What I saw was more than enough for the day.

Sadly, the Cliffs of Moher have also a bad reputation. Many people committed suicide there. They knew that they had no chance to survive.


Has that dream vacation been on your mind a lot lately, but the travel costs keep holding you back? Make that much-needed getaway possible with Wizootravel. Save up to 60% on hotels and flights with our guaranteed cheapest deals to destinations worldwide. No hidden fees. Just what you see. Book your dream holiday now!

Share To:

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours